Sights of the region – our Top 10
Visit the Dachstein Glacier, the highest mountain in Styria or get an insight into the production of loden and look at the Lodenwalke in Ramsau Rössing. Take a walk past the Bergretter Zentrale or Emilies Hof, the locations of the TV series “Die Bergretter”. Another worth seeing crafts can be found in the schnapps and mountain pine distillery on Mandlberggut. Watching the refining with subsequent tasting of the specialties.
1. The Dachstein
Experience the exciting Dachstein Glacier World with all your senses. A worthwhile trip with unforgettable moments.
In 6 minutes at 2700 meters above sea level. The ascent with the Dachstein Panorama gondola is a real experience. The impressive mountain scenery with the imposing south face of the Dachstein right in front of your nose. From the mountain station you have an incredible view over the summit of Austria to the Czech Republic and Slovenia. Breathtaking moments are guaranteed here, as is a thrill with a view.
– ascent with the panoramic gondola ( Gondola reservation necessary. Reserve now )
– stunning views down the Skywalk and the Dachstein suspension bridge
– Thrill on the stairs to nowhere
– Dachstein Ice Palace – mystical world of ice
– Hike to the Dachsteinwarte / Seethalerhütte
– with Sommercard from 2 nights incl.
Info & further details: www.derdachstein.at
2. “Die Bergretter”- TV series based in Ramsau am Dachstein
Ramsau am Dachstein is the main venue and location for the popular prime time series. With millions of spectators in front of the TV, the team of the Ramsau mountain rescue has fascinated audiences since 2009 on ZDF.
The new episodes of the series will be shot from spring to autumn. Many locations such as the mountain rescue office, Emilies farm or film sets in the open terrain are located directly in the village of Ramsau or the mountain pastures region. With a little luck, you can even watch the filming.
“Die Bergretter” Highlights:
– Filming location Emilies Hof – Pernerhof in Ramsau am Dachstein
– Location mountain rescue office in the center of Ramsau am Dachstein
– many locales throughout the entire region. Pension Marthaler, Heli Port C14 or the Hotel Herbrechter
– guided hike: In the footsteps of the mountain rescuers
– Original mountain rescue fan hike in September
Info & further details: www.schladming-dachstein.at
3. Lodenwalke Ramsau – the home of the Schladminger Loden
Best craftsmanship in 16 work steps. Loden production requires a wide variety of production steps, from raw wool to the finished loden fabric.
With the basic idea “Wool takes time”, the loden is still produced today according to an old tradition. So even the original Schladminger Perlloden is known far beyond the borders for its good quality. The product range is constantly being expanded with new creative ideas and a young design.
– the oldest business enterprise in Styria
– first mentioned in a document in 1434
– free guided factory tours
– good Styrian tavern (ideal for bus groups)
– Showroom and Online Shop
– free car and bus parking
Info & further details: www.lodenwalker.com
4. Mandlberggut Dachstein – Dachstein distillery and the mountain pine
Manufactory with two distilleries. Guided tour of the Dachstein distillery with whiskey and schnapps distillery as well as the mountain pine distillery.
Guided tour of the Dachstein distillery on the Mandlberggut. Insight into the production of natural products such as ointments, high-quality brandies and Austrian whiskies from local plants and fruits.
– Mandlberggut manufactory with 2 distilleries
– Guided tour with tasting
– Farm store and online shop
– Coffee mandl:bergkaffee (ideal for bus groups)
– free car and bus parking
Info & further details: www.mandlberggut.com
5. Wild Waters – National Geographic Hiking Trail
The Wild Waters theme trail is a multiple award-winning hiking trail and starts in the mountain town of Schladming and leads through the Untertal to the Riesachsee.
Riesachsee in Untertal – Wild Waters
The element of water accompanies you on a 14 km long hiking trail over several stages. The “Wilde Wasser” day hike begins in Schladming and leads along the beautiful Talbachklamm into the Untertal, towards the Riesach waterfall. Continue to the 50m long suspension bridge in the Höllschlucht to the Riesachsee.
Wilde Wasser Highlights Untertal or Obertal
– Alpinsteig through the Höll, small and large Riesach waterfalls
– Tettermoor many rare plant species
– Hopfriesen nickel museum in Obertal
– Guided tour through the Annastollen in Obertal
– Natural jewel Duisitzkar (hiking tip: golden-yellow colored larches, a particularly beautiful hiking destination in autumn)
Infos & further details: www.wildewasser.at
6. Admont Benedictine Abbey – The world’s largest monastery library.
Visit 4 museums, the famous abbey library or the monastery and let yourself be fascinated by old stories.
The library hall in Admont has about 70,000 volumes. The entire collection of books in the monastery comprises around 200,000 volumes. You can also visit the “Panorama Stairs” and enjoy the breathtaking view of the outdoor facilities with the herb garden and pen pond. Art from the Middle Ages to the present day, the Natural History Museum, the Art History Museum and the Gothic Museum will inspire you.
Admont Benedictine Abbey
– The world’s largest monastery library
– Abbey library is barrier-free and can be visited without a guided tour
– Admont Abbey Pharmacy
– Stiftskeller for larger group and bus trips
– Free car and bus parking
Infos & further details: www.stiftadmont.at
7. “Spiegelsee” Mirror Lake at the Reiteralm
The Spiegelsee is one of the most popular photo opportunities in the Schladming-Dachstein region. A wonderful mountain panorama with a view of the Bischofsmütze and the Dachstein triumvirate.
In winter, the Reiteralm is one of the 4 major ski mountains in Schladming-Dachstein. But even in summer the area offers wonderful hiking trails and mountain bike trails. From the mountain station you can take the well-marked path to the picturesque Spiegelsee in about 1 hour. Another variant is the Reiteralm Höhenrundweg over the Gasselhöhe and Rippetegg. It’s worth it, because the view over the endless mountain peaks is terrific!
– Mountain bike trails of different levels of difficulty
– Preunegg Jet cable car open in summer
– Themed trail “Still Waters” with a water playground
– 1st via ferrata in the Schladminger Tauern “Klettersteig Franzi”
Infos & further details: www.reiteralm.at
8. Bachlalm – watch marmots
The managed Bachlalm is located at the foot of the Dachstein. A little below the hut you can watch and feed the little marmots. Especially in the morning hours or in the late afternoon you have the best chances.
Marmots on the Bachlalm
The beautiful alpine pasture of the Bachlalm lies between Ramsau am Dachstein and Filzmoos. A forest road takes you to the “marmot meadow” after approx. 1 hour’s walk. You approach the corridors quietly and carefully. Sometimes you can see the little rodents sitting on the stones from afar. However, if you hear a whistle, the marmots are warned and quickly retreat to the safe caves.
– Hiking taxi between the parking lot and the Bachlalm
– Mountain pine distillery
– Panoramic view of the mighty Dachstein massif and the Rötelstein
– Further hiking recommendations: Torwanderung, Naturerlebnissweg Bachlalm, Sulzenschneid or summit tour to Rötelstein
– free car park at Dachsteinruhe
Infos & further details: www.bachlalm.at
9. Silberkar – wild water gorge & alpine ibex
The Silberkar in Ramsau am Dachstein shows wild nature, alpine plant diversity and true climbing artists of the animal world. You walk through the gorge along the rushing Silberkarbach. Calming and invigorating at the same time.
The destination Silberkarklamm in Ramsau Rössing enthusiastic families, hikers and climbers alike. The path leads over wooden stairs through the beautiful gorge. After about 30 minutes of walking, the Silberkar opens up at the end of the gorge. 2 out of 3 via ferratas have their entry points here and can therefore be easily combined. We recommend a stop at the Silberkarhütte to strengthen yourself or to enjoy the unique view.
– 3 via ferratas Siega, Hias and Rosina
– Farmed Silberkarhütte: organic products from its own farm
– Silberkarsee – Hölltalsee
– Starting point for other hiking destinations: King’s stage, high alpine hikes on the Stein, Grafenberg and Stornalm rounds
– Family excursion destination, hike & bike tour
Infos & further details: www.bacherhof.at/silberkarklamm
10. Ursprungalm – Styrian Kalkspitze & Film motive for Heidi film
Untouched mountains and setting for scenes from the Heidi film in the 80s. The Ursprungalm in the Preuneggtal lies on a gentle high valley floor with a view of the Dachstein triumvirate.
Ursprungalm in the Preuneggtal
Green mountain pastures and the flat terrain are ideal for families with children. The 1.4 km long circular route begins directly from the Ursprungalm and tells on information boards about the miner’s history of the Ursprungalm, the geological peculiarities of the limestone of the Styrian and Lungau Kalkspitze as well as details about the recordings of the Heidi film in 1988. Source of the senses – the origin of the Preuneggbach and the center of mining.
– Hiking destination for families, family circuit suitable for pushchairs
– specialties freshly produced on the alpine pasture from our own farm: milk, buttermilk, butter, curd cheese and Styrian cheese
– Starting point for other hiking destinations: Giglachseen, Steirische Kalkspitze and Schladminger Tauern Höhenweg
– Toll road accessible by car or hiking bus from Hochwurzen cable car
Infos & further details: www.ursprungalm.at
Other attractions in the region
- Planai – Mountain of champions www.planai.at
- Salt mines in Altaussee, Hallstatt and Hallein www.salzwelten.at
- Ice cave in Werfen www.eisriesenwelt.at
- Dachstein Krippenstein ice caves www.dachstein-salzkammergut.com
- Benedictine monastery Admont www.stiftadmont.at
- Schloss Trautenfels www.museum-johanneum.at